Your Insurance Questions Answered

We understand that navigating the world of insurance can be confusing. This page is designed to answer your most frequently asked questions to give you more information about your coverage. Still have questions? Don’t hesitate to contact us today!


Generally, your auto insurance will adapt to meet the minimum coverage requirements of another state you’re driving through. It’s important to remember however, that your standard auto insurance policy is only valid within the United States, its territories and possessions, and Canada.

Here are some additional tips:

  • Contact your insurance company before you travel: Let them know where you’ll be going and for how long. They can confirm if your coverage extends to that location and advise you on any additional coverage you might need.
  • Be aware of minimum coverage requirements: While your insurance might adjust to meet another state’s minimums, these may be lower than your current coverage limits. Consider if you need extra protection and increase your coverage temporarily if necessary.

Need to file a claim? We’ve got you covered! Choose the method that works best for you:

Thinking about renting a car? Here’s how your insurance might (and might not) cover you:

  • Liability: Your existing personal liability coverage usually extends to rental cars. This means it will cover injuries or property damage you cause to others while driving the rental.
  • Damage to the rental car: If your policy includes collision and comprehensive coverage, they may also apply to a rental car. This protects you from financial responsibility for damage to the rental vehicle itself (e.g., collision, theft, vandalism). Check your policy details to be sure.
  • Lost income: Rental car companies may offer coverage for lost income if the car is damaged and unavailable. However, this can be expensive. Review your own policy to see if it already offers similar protection.
  • Credit card coverage: Many credit cards provide some level of rental car insurance. Be sure to understand the specifics and limitations of your card’s coverage before relying on it solely.
  • Collision Damage Waiver (CDW): Rental companies offer CDW, which waives your financial responsibility for most damage to the car. This can be convenient but can also be expensive. Consider your options carefully, especially if your own insurance or credit card already provides similar coverage.

Remember: It’s always best to double-check your own insurance policy and credit card benefits before you rent a car. This will help you avoid unnecessary costs and ensure you have the right protection for your trip.

Not sure if your business insurance covers rented vehicles? The short answer is that most standard business auto policies don’t automatically extend coverage to vehicles your company rents.

However, there’s good news! You can usually add protection for rented vehicles by including Hired Auto Liability and Physical Damage coverage to your existing policy. This coverage helps you out in two key ways:

  • Hired Auto Liability: This covers injuries or property damage caused to others by an employee driving a rented vehicle for business purposes.
  • Physical Damage: This protects your company from financial responsibility for damage to the rented vehicle itself (e.g., collision, theft).

Considering adding Hired Auto coverage is a smart move if your employees frequently rent vehicles for business use. It provides peace of mind knowing you’re covered in case of an accident.

Here’s what to expect after you file your claim:

  • An adjuster will reach out: An insurance adjuster will contact you to gather details about your claim. Be prepared to answer questions and provide any necessary documentation.
  • Inspection might be needed: Depending on the claim, an adjuster may need to inspect your vehicle or property. You may also need to submit proof of value and ownership.
  • You’ll receive an estimate: Once the adjuster has all the information, they’ll prepare an estimated payout amount.
  • Receive your payout: If you agree with the estimate, you’ll receive your claim payout.
    Disagreements happen: If there’s a difference between the actual damage and the estimate, it will be addressed.
  • We’re here for you: Throughout the process, our agency will keep you informed and ensure a fair and efficient settlement. Your satisfaction is our priority.

If your car is leased long-term, owned or financed:

  • File a claim with your insurer: Start by contacting your insurance carrier to file a claim. You’ll typically need to pay a deductible, which is a specific amount you’re responsible for before your insurance kicks in.
  • Managing your claim: If applicable, your insurance will take care of your losses, including any payment owed to the financing company or leasing company if your car is financed or leased. In addition, your insurance company typically manages damage to the other vehicle or property.

Generally, if another driver collides with your vehicle, their insurance will cover injuries, your vehicle or property. But what happens if the other driver is not insured or underinsured? This is where Uninsured Motorist (UM) Coverage or Underinsured Motorist (UIM) Coverage on your own policy comes in. UIM or UM is particularly important if you or your passengers are injured in an accident caused by an uninsured or underinsured driver. It can help cover medical bills, lost wages, and other costs associated with the accident.

Filing a claim won’t necessarily hurt your insurance. In most cases, a single incident won’t cause a rate increase or policy cancellation. However, there are a few things to keep in mind:

  • Frequent claims: A pattern of claims within a short period (typically a few years) can lead to higher premiums or even policy non-renewal.
  • Reckless behavior: Claims resulting from accidents caused by gross negligence, like driving under the influence (DUI) or reckless driving, will likely result in significant premium increases or policy cancellation.

The key takeaway? Be a safe driver and avoid filing unnecessary claims. This will help you maintain good standing with your insurance company and avoid any negative consequences on your policy.

Who’s covered to drive your car? Generally, your auto insurance extends coverage to people you give permission to drive your vehicle. It’s important to note that this doesn’t require a formal process. The key is that the driver has a reasonable belief they have your consent. To be clear and avoid any confusion, it’s always best to explicitly give permission to anyone who will be driving your car.


Not all natural disasters are covered equally by insurance.

  • Typically covered: Hurricanes, tornadoes, and hail are common examples of natural disasters that usually fall under comprehensive auto insurance coverage.
  • Not typically covered: Earthquakes and floods are generally excluded from basic auto insurance policies.

Unsure about your coverage? We can help! If you’re concerned about how your policy handles specific disasters, don’t hesitate to contact us. Remember, peace of mind is priceless, especially when it comes to unexpected events.

The association’s master policy covers the building’s structure, relieving you of that responsibility. You will need your own policy to protect your personal belongings and liability in your unit. Additionally, some associations may require unit owners to contribute towards the master policy deductibles, highlighting the importance of having a personal policy that complements the association’s coverage.

Your homeowner’s insurance typically covers your belongings not just within your home, but also while you’re out and about.

  • Standard Coverage: Most policies offer coverage for items outside your residence, usually up to 10% of your dwelling coverage (Coverage C) or a minimum of $1,000 (whichever is higher). This is perfect for protecting your belongings while traveling or during temporary situations.
  • Important Note: The 10% limitation only applies to the value of all your belongings within your residence. There is no limit on items you take on vacation or keep in storage (except for any specific limits on the type of property covered by your policy).

Remember: It’s always a good idea to check your specific policy details to understand the exact coverage limits for your belongings outside your home. If you have any questions or need additional coverage, don’t hesitate to contact your insurance agent.

Flood insurance is a must-have for many homeowners. Even if your house seems far from any major body of water, it could still be at risk for flooding. Many areas are susceptible to flash floods or rising water levels. That’s why flood damage is typically not covered by standard homeowner’s insurance.

Here’s how to protect yourself:

  • Flood Risk Check: The National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) offers a handy tool on their website ( Simply enter your address to see your property’s flood risk level.
  • Get Flood Coverage: We can help you secure a flood insurance policy that will provide financial protection in case of flooding.
    Cost Estimate: To get an idea of flood insurance premiums, you can visit the National Flood Insurance Program’s website to review premiums.

Remember: A little preparation can go a long way. By checking your flood risk and considering flood insurance, you can ensure your home is protected from this potential threat.

Renter’s insurance can give you peace of mind and offer important benefits. Even though you don’t own the building, your belongings inside it are still valuable. Renter’s insurance offers protection for renters in two key ways:

  • Protection for Your Stuff: Imagine a fire or theft damages your furniture, electronics, or clothes. Renter’s insurance helps cover the cost of replacing these belongings.
  • Liability Coverage: This is especially important. If a fire accidentally starts in your apartment and damages other units or property in the building, your renter’s insurance can kick in. It will help cover your legal responsibility to compensate others for the damage caused. Liability coverage also applies to other situations where you might be legally liable for injuries or damage to someone else’s property.

Contact us today to learn more about renter’s insurance options and get a personalized quote.

Renter’s insurance covers you and your relatives living in the same unit. If your roommate is not a relative, their coverage will not extend to you. It’s best for each roommate to have their own policy to ensure everyone’s belongings are protected. Renter’s insurance is a smart investment for everyone living in the rental unit. Contact us today to discuss renter’s insurance options and get a quote for your specific needs.

Owning a boat is a great way to enjoy the water, but it’s important to make sure it’s properly insured. Here’s the breakdown:

  • Homeowner’s Coverage Might Be Limited: While your homeowner’s policy might offer some basic coverage for your boat, it’s likely limited. This could cover things like theft while the boat is on your property but wouldn’t extend to damage while on the water.
  • Auto Insurance Won’t Help: Car insurance doesn’t typically cover boats. They’re considered separate vehicles.


Protecting Your Boat the Right Way
There are two main options to ensure your boat is properly insured:

  • Adding Coverage to Your Homeowner’s Policy: In some cases, you might be able to increase your existing homeowner’s coverage to include your boat. However, this might come with limitations or exclusions.
  • Getting a Separate Boat Insurance Policy: This is often the best option for comprehensive coverage. A dedicated boat insurance policy can be tailored to your specific needs, covering things like damage while trailering, on the water, or in storage.

Remember: It’s important to talk to your insurance agent to understand the specifics of your homeowner’s policy and discuss the best way to ensure your boat is properly insured.

Need to File a Claim? We’ve Got You Covered! We understand that filing a claim can feel overwhelming. Here’s how to get started quickly and efficiently:

  • Contact your insurance company directly: This is the fastest way to initiate the claims process. Find contact information for carriers here.
  • We’re also here to help: If you have any questions or need assistance navigating the claims process, don’t hesitate to contact our agency.


Renting a Vehicle for Your Business? Don’t Get Caught Uncovered! Your standard business auto policy might not automatically extend coverage to cars or trucks your company rents. Here’s what you need to know:

  • Standard Policy Might Not Cover Rentals: Most business auto policies don’t include rented vehicles by default. This means if an employee has an accident while driving a rental car for business purposes, your company could be on the hook for any damages or injuries caused.
  • Protect Your Business with Hired Auto Coverage: The good news is you can usually add Hired Auto Liability and Physical Damage coverage to your existing policy. This provides crucial protection in two ways:
    • Hired Auto Liability: This covers your company’s financial responsibility for injuries or property damage caused by an employee driving a rented vehicle for business.
    • Physical Damage: This helps cover the cost of repairing or replacing the rented vehicle itself if it’s damaged in an accident.

Considering adding Hired Auto coverage is a smart move if your employees frequently rent vehicles for business use. It provides peace of mind knowing your company is protected in case of an accident.

Every business has unique risks, and having the right insurance is essential to protect yourself financially. Here’s a breakdown of the key types of business insurance to consider:

  • General Liability: This is the foundation of any business insurance plan. It covers your legal responsibility for injuries or property damage caused by your business operations, including actions by owners or employees.
  • Professional Liability (Errors & Omissions): Certain professions, such as lawyers, doctors, architects, or software designers, need additional protection in case they’re sued for negligence or mistakes in their work. This is where professional liability insurance comes in.
  • Product Liability: If your business manufactures or sells products, you need product liability insurance. This covers you if someone gets injured or their property is damaged due to a defect with your product.
  • Business Auto Insurance: If your business owns or uses vehicles, a separate business auto policy is crucial. It provides coverage for accidents and other mishaps involving company vehicles.
  • Business Property Insurance: This protects your physical assets, such as office equipment, inventory, and even your building (if you own it). Consider how much it would cost to replace these items and get insurance if the potential loss is too much to handle yourself.
  • Business Interruption Insurance: This can be a lifesaver if your business is forced to close due to a covered event, such as a fire or natural disaster. It helps cover expenses like employee salaries and supplier payments while you get back on your feet.

Remember: When it comes to business insurance, it’s always better to be safe than sorry. By understanding your specific needs and potential risks, you can choose the right insurance plan to protect your business and ensure its continued success. We recommend contacting us to discuss a personalized insurance plan for your business.

Need to File a Claim? We’ve Got You Covered! We understand that filing a claim can feel overwhelming. Here’s how to get started quickly and efficiently:

  • Contact your insurance company directly: This is the fastest way to initiate the claims process. Find contact information for carriers here.
  • We’re also here to help: If you have any questions or need assistance navigating the claims process, don’t hesitate to contact our agency.


Don’t Forget Your Insurance After a Big Life Change! Life throws curveballs, and sometimes those changes can impact your insurance needs. To make sure you’re properly covered, it’s a good idea to review your insurance policies annually. But there are some key life events that warrant an immediate conversation with your insurance agent:

  • Marriage or Divorce: Your marital status can affect your insurance rates and coverage options.
  • New Family Members: Welcoming a child or grandchild might mean adding them to your health insurance plan and potentially increasing your life insurance coverage.
  • Health Changes: Significant changes in your health or your spouse’s health could impact your life insurance premiums or disability coverage needs.
  • Caring for a Parent: Taking on financial responsibility for an aging parent might necessitate additional long-term care insurance.
  • Homeownership: Buying a home usually requires homeowner’s insurance. Reviewing your existing insurance might be necessary.
  • Long-Term Care Needs: If a loved one requires long-term care, you may need to explore long-term care insurance options.
  • Refinancing Your Home: Refinancing your mortgage could affect your homeowner’s insurance needs.
  • Inheritance: An inheritance can increase your net worth, which might in turn affect your life insurance needs.

By being proactive and discussing these life events with your insurance agent, you can ensure your coverage stays up-to-date and continues to protect you and your loved ones.

Let's Get Started

Reach out to our team today to request a quote.